Emergency situations seldom come with warnings. As a homeowner, you are already aware of the different types of home emergency situations that may arise at any given moment. Likewise, an emergency roof repair situation might strike at any moment. Have you recently discovered a dripping ceiling in the middle of the night? From roof shingles repair and industrial roofing problems to dripping or leaking roofs, emergency roof problems can come from a variety of sources. But you are not powerless in such situations. While some roof repairs are not as important, there are major roofing emergencies that require critical attention and care whenever they arise. But what counts as a roofing emergency? We will find out here now about roofing emergencies and what steps you need to follow in such situations.
What Counts As A Roofing Emergency?
These are the situations that can qualify as a roofing emergency:
- A fallen tree, branch, or any wind-borne object has damaged your roof and caused it to cave in.
- Torn-off shingles due to a storm have caused a major leakage on your roof, and there is no way to prevent rainwater from abundantly flooding your home.
- There is severe damage in a section of your roof that needs a temporary “patch” job to avert further damage.
- There is an accidental fire that might have burnt up a section of your roof. In this case, the structural integrity of the roof is compromised, like the roofing deck and the condition of the shingles.
- Extreme high winds have ripped layers of your roof, leaving the underlayers exposed to outside elements.
- Lightning has struck your roof, which can make your home vulnerable to other related activities and water intrusion.
What to do in case of an emergency roof situation?
It is normal to feel overwhelmed whenever there is an emergency roof repair situation. However, follow these steps to handle the issue efficiently:
- Call a professional roof repair company: There are many roofing companies that offer emergency roof repair services, which means that you can call them even in the wee hours of the night. It is best to avoid unqualified and inexperienced roofing contractors in such situations and go for a roofer that is properly insured and licensed and offers high-quality repairs.
- Assess the danger level: Is the danger level so serious that you and your family will be forced to evacuate? For instance, there is a fair chance of the roof collapsing or your home flooding with rainwater. A fallen tree or branch might also damage the power line of your home resulting in a horrific situation. In such a situation, it is best to call 911.
- Do not attempt the repairs: Taking the DIY emergency roof repair route can prove to be a serious threat to you and your family, even if you have insurance coverage. From falling off the roof to coming in contact with a high power line, there are risky consequences and potential dangers lurking in emergency roofing situations.
- Speak with the insurance company: Contact your insurance company or ask your professional roofers to document the damage. It can help you during the insurance claiming process when the insurance company will be writing the report on the roof damage.
- Limit the damage: While you are waiting for the professionals to arrive, you can do a few things to limit the damage. For instance, you can use buckets to collect the rainwater, cover the expensive gadgets with a waterproof tarp, and run a dehumidifier. In case of flooding, you can also start transferring valuable objects to higher grounds to prevent costly damage.
- Prepare yourself: You can prepare your home for a possible roof repair or replacement after speaking to your professional roofer and receiving an estimate. In case of severe damage, you may also contact your loved ones or look for temporary accommodations nearby to sort out your living arrangements.
Flying shingles and actively dripping water can leave you with no time to come up with a solid roof response plan. Hence, one of the best ways to avoid roof emergencies is to have professional roofers regularly conduct maintenance services, including damage inspections and cleaning gutters. This can help you to familiarize yourself with the different aspects of roof repairs so that you can have a better understanding of your home’s roof. It can also help you to prepare a roof repair schedule at regular intervals and understand pre-indications about roof damage.