In the past, the manicure sector was limited to traditional nail polish. Today, the cosmetic industry is rapidly growing, and new products are introduced each day. The demand for better products has spiraled incredibly, forcing the industry to revolutionize its technology. Among the products that have faced revolution are nail extensions.
Have you ever heard of nail extensions? Probably yes. If not, don’t worry. This article will take you through three things important for nail extension that you need to know.
- What are nail extensions?
Nail extensions are artificial, lightweight, nail-like extensions glued on top of your natural nails using a specific adhesive to increase their length and enhance beauty. They are designed to imitate natural nails and give women with short nails the opportunity to wear long nails.
Not long ago, acrylic nails were the most popular nail extensions worn by women, thanks to their proof of good quality and durability. However, with the increased demand for much better products, a more recent innovation was born, and gel extensions became available. Slowly, most women transitioned from the old manicure practices to gel extensions, thanks to its extraordinary advantages.
Since there are many myths about gel extensions, this masterpiece will elucidate the mystery and help you decide whether gel extensions can be your ultimate manicure goal.
- Acrylic extension vs. Gel extensions: What is the difference?
If you have ever sought the help of a manicurist for services that stretch beyond just regular nail polish, you must have been faced with the overwhelming task of choosing between nail acrylics and gel extensions. While both are great options for trying out various nail styles, settling down on the right technique and style may prove an uphill task.
Although you can use both products on your nails to achieve similar results, acrylic nails and gel extensions are not similar. Gel extensions typically involve a less complex process of applying coats of gel polish on natural nails and drying using a UV lamp. For each gel coat applied, the nails are placed under a UV lamp for about one to two minutes of drying time. Once dry, the gel polish hardens to give your nails a more natural look. Once complete, gel extensions can last for somewhere between three to four weeks, after which they will start to peel off as your natural nails start to grow.
On the other hand, acrylic nails are made from a mixture of a monomer liquid and a polymer powder laid over the nails to give your nails a natural look. Once they are in shape, each nail is carefully painted using nail polish color, base coat, and finished with a special topcoat. The nails are then set to dry under a fan.
When dry, acrylic nails are harder than gel extensions, thanks to the hybrid mixture of the chemical liquid and powder used in the process. However, they are likely to break off when subjected to intensive work like lifting weights, typing, and washing clothes. To keep your acrylic nails intact, you should refill them after every passing few weeks.
Acrylic and gel extensions can be removed once they have served their purpose. However, you require the services of a technician to remove acrylic nails. Otherwise, you may end up with broken nails. On the flip side, you can easily remove gel extensions at home.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of nail extensions?
- Acrylic extensions
- Acrylic nail extension wards off bad nail chewing habits among women
- Since they are made from a hybrid mixture of liquid chemicals and powder, acrylic nails are hard and durable.
- They are good for women with weak and brittle nails.
- They have been in existence for years; hence it is easy to find a specialist within the neighborhood.
- They can severely damage your natural nails if not removed carefully
- Some women can suffer from allergies since the process involves chemical application.
- Requires regular maintenance through refilling, hence extra expenditure
- Gel extensions
- They offer the least amount of discomfort due to their lightweight nature
- They provide your nails with natural looks as compared to acrylic nails
- They are easy to remove and hence pose the least risk of damaging your nails
- They are resistant to chipping due to their flexibility
- No chemicals are used; thus, least risk of suffering from allergy
- They are expensive
- Require high levels of professionalism; hence you’ll have to find a specialist.
- It is not easy to get a gel nail kit since it requires UV light to set.
Who doesn’t love the beautiful look that comes along with nail extensions?
Nails form an essential part of your body that cannot be overlooked. They deserve equal care to glam up your look like any other body part. So, if you are looking to raise your self-esteem and confidence among your peers, get yourself a custom nail extension kit.