You can consider a hair transplant if you experience hair loss, notice thinning, suffer from alopecia, or any issue that causes your hair to fall out. A hair transplant is a long-lasting solution for loss or thinning. It can restore lost hair thickness, texture and improve the overall appearance of the hair.
Hair transplant has several perks, but like any other treatment, you have to take certain precautions before and after the procedure for a successful treatment.
Who can undergo hair transplantation?
Hair transplantation is suitable for anyone between 21 – 60 years. Every patient has a personalised treatment plan, depending on different factors such as scalp condition, overall health, patient’s age, hair texture and density.
People experiencing the following can opt for a hair transplant procedure.
- Men with male pattern baldness
- Women experiencing hair loss and thinning
- Anyone suffering from hair loss due to scalp injury
- Anyone with a hair condition suitable for hair transplantation
- Anyone with a well-defined pattern or area of baldness on the crown with healthy hair growth on the sides
It will be a viable treatment option for you if:
- You have a stable donor area
- You have adequate donor hair for the transplant and hair growth in the future
Pre-hair transplant care instructions
When you want to undergo this treatment, you need to take proper care of your hair. This increases your chances of successful treatment and reduces the risk of discomfort during the procedure. Ten days before your hair transplant, ensure you follow these pre-operative care instructions.
- Avoid taking Advil, aspirin, painkillers or anti-inflammatory medicines. It’s best to also avoid vitamins, particularly vitamin B and E, herbal medicines and blood thinners
- Avoid applying cortisone creams and taking steroids because they can increase your risk of bleeding
- Avoid smoking and taking alcohol
The day before your surgery, follow this care advice.
- Get enough sleep
- Take all medications prescribed by your doctor
- Avoid using hair spray, gel or styling products
On the day of your treatment, ensure you take your prescribed medicines. You may have to wear an old shirt because the surgical team may cut it off after the procedure. Opt for a button-up shirt that you can wear after your transplant. Other care instructions on the day of the surgery include:
- Have a light breakfast and do not take coffee
- Wash your scalp with a mild shampoo
- Avoid exercising, jogging, running or any strenuous activity
- Avoid wearing hair accessories, hair styling products and wigs
The hair transplant surgeon will administer a local anaesthetic before the area for the hair extraction and transplant.
Suppose you are undergoing the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) procedure. In that case, the doctor will extract each hair follicle from the donor site and transplant it to the bald spot. This method requires multiple sessions, with each session lasting for 2 – 4 hours.
If you’re having the Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), your surgeon will remove a small inch of the skin graft from the donor area, cut the grafts into smaller fragments and extract the hair follicles. After the extraction, the surgeon will implant them in the bald area, usually taking 4 – 6 hours.
Post-hair transplant care instructions
Taking proper care of your hair and following all necessary precautions after the best hair transplant in turkey will ensure optimum hair growth in the transplanted area. After the treatment procedure, your scalp may feel tender for some days.
Your surgeon will likely recommend pain, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic medicines. Avoid touching the recipient area.
You’ll have to wear bandages for at least a day after surgery to clean the incision and surgical area. You can take the bandage off the next day to prevent swelling.
Two days post-surgery, you can clean the donor area. To clean the donor area, pour some water on the area a few times, then wash, but do not dry your hair with a towel.
After the second day, you have to wash the recipient area two times daily with conditioner and mild, antimicrobial shampoo. This helps to remove the crust and scalp flakes to prevent infections.
Other important aftercare for a hair transplant includes:
- Avoid taking alcohol, smoking and over-the-counter pain medications
- Apply the oral medications prescribed by your doctor
- Avoid exercising or strenuous activities for some weeks after the procedure
- Elevate your head with 3 – 4 pillows while sleeping to keep the transplanted hair safe and intact.
- Ensure you use only the lotion, conditioner and shampoo prescribed by your doctor for at least two weeks after your surgery.
- Avoid exposure to sun and heat for at least three weeks after the procedure
- Avoid swimming during recovery
Visit Turkey Hair Transplants today to start your hair transplant journey. You can contact us now on 020 7371 9176 to book an appointment with our expert hair transplant surgeon.