Earlier, homeowners use plastic and noisy upholstery covers for protecting the chairs and couch from dirt and stains. Well, those were not a bad idea yet not very useful these days. Today, people want comfortable couches that are functional and appear great always.
But the fact is couches face lots of abuses. They act as indoor convenient trampoline for children, nap location for pets and people and so on. So, one must clean it like other pieces of furniture. If you can clean the couches regularly then these will prevent you from making it excessively dirty. Also, you can ignore the need of tedious deep couch cleaning.
In case, you are still ignoring your couches then it is the high time to prioritise it. Continue reading this blog to have some idea to keep your couch clean and fresh for a long period of time.
Tips for deep cleaning the couch
If you include couch cleaning as weekly household chore then it is possible to keep it fresh. In fact you can keep the build up of dirt and grime at bay. But a spill or stain reminds you that deep cleaning is substantial. You can use some steps to clean the couch from deep.
No matter if the fabric is of leather, suede or cotton fabric you need to check its care label firstly. These days’ fabrics need specific laundering method- some need dry clean and some should not need wetting at all. There are some basic cleaning tips like:
- Using of mild detergent along dry-cleaning detergent and steam vacuum
- Using only dry cleaner detergent
- Using vacuum cleaner only without any water
- Using water for cleaning the couch
However, safest and best way for cleaning a couch is to use natural and safe homemade cleaning solutions. These are less expensive than commercial products delivering effective results.
DIY couch cleaner
Numerous natural and mild cleaning solutions are there for cleaning your couch. On the basis of upholstery kind you can make use of these household items.
- Linseed oil
- Olive oil
- Rubbing alcohol
- Liquid dish soap
- Baking soda
- Distilled white vinegar
After determining the right DIY cleaning solution to clean the upholstery, all you need is some tools for proper cleaning of the couch. Some of them are:
- Empty spray bottle
- Nylon scrub brush
- Vacuum cleaner having brush and crevice attachments
After checking the cleaning label of the couch you should collect the tools and supplies. Only this can let you deep cleaning of the couch.
Tips to clean fabric couch
As grime and dirt accumulates on couch cushions, here we will have a look at cleaning couch cushions. If they are removable then it is much better.
By taking off the couch cushions you can wash them in cold water with a mild cycle (if there is no other cleaning label). Remove them completely for cleaning the suede and leather. Now clean the upholstery as you do.
- Make use of dry and stiff brush for loosening the dried stains, debris and dirt from the sides and corners.
- Brush the cushions and couch for bringing the dirt and dust to the surface. However, avoid vigorous brushing as it can damage its fabric.
- Reach out all crevices and nooks using crevice tools and vacuum cleaner attachment of brush
- Vacuum cushions’ both sides, the arms, front and top
- Use lint roller or pet hair vacuum attachment for removal of pet hair missed by vacuum and brush
- Spray baking soda to the cushions and couch. Now leave them for 20 minutes for the removal of odour and stains
- Vacuum up baking soda using a powerful cleaner
Tips for cleaning couch having leather fabric
- Prepare natural and safe leather cleaner using same amount of distilled white vinegar and water
- Damp the microfiber cloth using cleaning solution for rubbing all over the leather
- Gently scrub the area for prevention of damage and discolouration
- Allow the leather for drying up
- Take 2 parts of linseed oil and a part of white vinegar in the spray bottle
- Now spray it on the dry microfiber cloth for rubbing the vinegar and oil all over the leather
- Let it to sit for 10 minutes and buff the finish by the microfiber cloth for giving an attractive lustre to the couch
Tips for cleaning couch having suede upholstery
- Use the attachment of vacuum brush for removal of hair, dust and dirt
- Wet the microfiber cloth by wringing out excessive water
- Wipe the couch from top to bottom
- Scrub gently the armrests for removal of dirt and build up
- Rinse the cloth often but don’t make it too wet
Tricks to deal with couch stains
Stain removal method is all about deep cleaning the couch. Try on some handmade stain removing solutions by testing spot-check only.
- Fill a spray bottle with one tbsp dish soap, 3/4th cup water and 1/4th cup vinegar. Mist the spot and scrub using microfiber cloth for lifting the stains.
- If the material is synthetic then lessen the soap amount to half cup.
- For leather, you can take 1/4th cup vinegar and ½ cup olive oil.
- For suede, take equal amount of rubbing alcohol and water to dab the stubborn stains.
Many times, spot treatment won’t work at all. After cleaning the couch you can use garment steamer by keeping the windows open. It will steam the entire upholstery without making it too wet. Only enough moisture is there for loosening stains, grime and dirt. Replace the microfiber cloth and keep a fan for drying it up fully.
In case you find the job is difficult, then take the help of professional sofa cleaners in London. They will help you to have clean and healthy home. Contact them without further delay.